Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Treatment for FIV-FeLV Cats - LTCI





LTCI is a New USDA approved treatment that is injected into FeLV and FIV cats. This treatment aids in restoring your cats ability to fight off infection. LTCI is not a cure, however it is a treatment that will restore your cat’s immune system so that it is normal. A normal immune system will prolong the cat’s life.   

FeLV and FIV have been incurable cat diseases.  Cats that are infected with FeLV or FIV have a greater chance at getting sick because of their suppressed immune system.  These cats get infections easily; colds, upper respiratory and many develop blood disorders and cancer.   

Studies show that cats that received the LTCI treatment have positive results within the first week.  LTCI increases the CD-4 lymphocyte function and numbers.  It also increases the IL-2 production as well as the red blood cell counts in severely anemic cats.

My cat Sam was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia and Feline Immunodeficiency virus in 2009.  Sam’s immune system was able to fight off the FeLV however we were told there was no cure for the FIV and that Sam may live 10 years or less.  When I learned today of a treatment for my cats immune disease I knew my prayers had been answered.

Three percent of all the cats in the US are infected with FeLV or FIV.  The cat numbers are higher in cats that go outdoors and in feral and stray cats.  Thanks to this new treatment cat lives will be spared.

Treatment Locations

I checked my area and found that the closest veterinarian that has this new treatment is 250 miles away.  Sam does not like riding in the cars. I never do anything to cause him anxiety or stress.  So I searched online for information about the new FeLV/FIV treatment and then I contacted my veterinarian.  

I learned that Sam would need a wellness exam and blood screening before being considered for the treatment.  Presently Sam has a stable condition and he may not need the LTCI treatment. It is comforting to know that a treatment for FIV/FeLV is available and that cat’s lives will not be threatened.







No comments: