When my FIV cat named Sam had some health concerns the veterinarian recommended that I feed him Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multi-care Urinary Care food. I could feed him both variety’s; canned or the kibble and was told that Sam would need to eat this food for the rest of his life. I was told that if I fed him another food that was formulated for urinary care for cats that he may get sick, due to the ingredients.
Read the article I published about Sam Treatment for Cat with Urinary infection.
I loved my cat and wanted his health to improve so I bought the Hills prescription CD food. I figured the cat food was a prescription and that there must be medicine in it to heal my cat of his cystic condition.
Normally all of my cats eat out of the same bowl, but with this prescription food, I had to feed Sam in another room. Know that it was difficult to separate my cats and one day my other cat who did not have the same urinary condition as Sam ate the prescription food. I was so upset that my cat ate this food and called my veterinarian office immediately. They told me there was nothing in the food to hurt my cat and that I could feed all of my cats Prescription Diet c/d Multi-care Urinary Care Food and it would prevent all of my cats from getting the urinary disease.
I researched the product and it is fact that there is no medicine in Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multi-care Urinary Care cat food. In fact, the ingredients in this food are poor quality because it has grains and corn. Foods that I never feed my cats.
Here are the ingredients:
- Pork By-Products, Water, Pork Liver, Chicken, Rice, Corn Starch, Oat Fiber, Chicken Fat, Fish Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Sulfate, Guar Gum, Fish Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dextrose, Dl-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Cysteine, Dried Egg Yolk, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate), Glycine, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene.
Here are the Key Benefits
- Clinical nutrition specially formulated to support your cat's urinary health and lower the recurrence of most common urinary signs by 89%
- This irresistible food makes it easier for you to bond with your pet with a gently cooked, easy to eat pate and natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals
- Promotes desirable urine pH levels and has controlled levels of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus
- Enriched with antioxidants, potassium citrate & Omega-3 fatty acids and recommended for a lifelong feeding of adult cats.
Know that this prescription cat food is expensive, $46.00 for 5.5-ounce cans/case of 24. Since there is no medicine in this prescription cat food I decided to see if there were comparable foods available to the consumer that were formulated to promote a desirable urine PH and did not require a prescription from a veterinarian to buy cat food. I found a food that was the same but did not have the filler foods, corn, and grains. I found that Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Classic Urinary Tract Health Formula Turkey & Giblets Entree Canned Cat Food has better ingredients, no prescription is needed and it costs less.
- Meat By-Products, Water Sufficient for Processing, Turkey, Poultry By-Products, Poultry Giblets, Rice, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Added Color, Carrageenan, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide.
Purina Pro Plan Focus targets kitty-specific health issues with Adult Classic Urinary Tract Health Formula Turkey & Giblets Entree Canned Cat Food. Made with real turkey, this specialized formula helps maintain your cat’s urinary tract health by reducing urinary pH and providing low dietary magnesium. Feeding Purina’s Urinary Tract Health Formula canned food will also help increase water intake, a crucial step when it comes to keeping her urinary system healthy.
- Specialized formula made with real turkey and giblets provides exceptional taste and balanced nutrition for your cat
- Extra-care nutrition to help maintain urinary tract health by reducing urinary pH while providing low dietary magnesium
- High-quality protein helps promote ideal body composition optimized for lean muscle, strength, and the energy needed for your adult cat to thrive
- Omega-6 fatty acids are included for healthy skin and a beautiful shiny coat
- Manufactured in Purina-owned U.S.A facilities and does not contain any added artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
So there you have it my product review of Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multi-care cat food. I am not a fan of this overpriced food with the GMO foods of corn, and grain ingredients.