Tuesday, January 20, 2015

FIV Cats Sleep More Than Normal Cats

When you own an FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) infected cat you tend to read books and search online for information regarding this feline disease.  Then you do everything that you can to keep your cat healthy and happy so that he does not get sick.

My cat Sam sleeping on the sofa.  He sleeps 90% of the day

All the information that I have read indicated that cats that are infected generally do not show signs of the disease for five to seven years. I rescued Sam in 2008 and he was diagnosed with Feline AIDS which was reduced to FIV since he had no symptoms. Sam has been healthy and happy for seven years and now he is sick; renal failure and possible cancer.

The veterinarian said that the renal failure is due to the FIV and he suspects that he may have cancer also. My cat is slipping away from me and there is nothing I can do to stop his illness from progressing. We had hoped that we could spend one more year with him but I do not know if that is possible.


Sam is still happy, talks to me daily plays with the dog but overall he sleeps more than before.For now, we are keeping all veterinarian appointments.  He has had a B12 shot and that has helped some.  His weakened immune system cannot fight off the diseases and for now, I have my Sam even though he sleeps 90% of the day, the 10% is still quality time spent with my cat Sam.





No comments: